La Casona de Santa Rosa
Casona means in Spanish large house, so La Casona de Santa Rosa was the larger house at the Santa Rosa Estate or Hacienda Santa Rosa in Spanish.
Santa Rosa is one of the oldest Haciendas in Costa Rica; there is historical evidence of its existence since 1663. Santa Rosa was not only one of the oldest haciendas but also one of the largest, and it was dedicated to agriculture and cattle activities.
Before 1863 Santa Rosa was only a big house in the middle of various farms, until Don Inocente Barrios Muñoz, the owner at that time, included it in the Public Record with the name of Finca Santa Rosa (Santa Rosa Farm).
Casona Santa Rosa is a good representation of a Colonial productive homestead; it is also the site of the Battle of March 20th, 1856, a fight that lasted only fifteen minutes but of great importance during the national campaign; it was during this short encounter that the filibusters, invaders in favor of slavery, run away from Costa Rican and Central American troops. This historical incident is an example of Costa Rican’s heroism and love for liberty and democracy.
Santa Rosa not only has a cultural and historical importance, but architectural too. The Casona was reconstructed in 1985; the house has a stone foundation and is made mainly of adobe, although some wood was used too.
Some rooms used in the past as stables stand apart from the main building. The stone corrals are well conserved and are one of the main attractions. The rebuilt corrals contain old farming utensils.
The outside stables and store house are located in the posterior part of the main building; a chapel used in the past for religious services, is also found in the grounds.
The Casona has open-air corridors to enjoy the panoramic view and surrounding tropical dry forest. Inside the house you will find a museum about the history of Santa Rosa battle and other battles. This 550 square (658 square yards) exhibit features photographs, historical documents, suspended grills used in the smoking of food a clay oven, large earthen jars used to store grains, , portraits and arms including a collection of rifles that were bought thanks to some money borrowed from the French government.
The Casona de Santa Rosa is located in Guanacaste Province in a 38674 hectare property, at 36 km to the north of Liberia city, and is part of the “Guanacaste Conservation Area. The museum opens daily from 8:00am to 4:30pm.
+ Bats of la Casona